History & Future
In 2005, Attawapiskat First Nation and De Beers Canada entered into a formal Impact Benefit Agreement related to De Beers’ exploration and diamond mining activities within Attawapiskat traditional territory.
In keeping with the loss of the use of the land while it is being mined, the “IBA” set out how the First Nation would benefit in the areas of:
- employment and business opportunities
- training and education
- sound environmental management
- financial compensation
At the same time, Attawapiskat First Nation Chief and Council established our arms-length organization to assist the community and take advantage of the commercial benefits identified in the IBA. Incorporated in 2005, we are formally Attawapiskat Limited Partnership.
De Beers Canada Victor Mine, Northern Ontario
Using the operating name, Attawapiskat Resources Inc., our original mandate was to:
- help the First Nation create Joint Venture businesses and revenue-generating opportunities from the Victor Diamond Mine development.
- represent the business and economic interests of Attawapiskat First Nation members in relation to these opportunities.
- establish and oversee the growth of community-owned competitive businesses.
- look for regional opportunities that could continue beyond the life of the Victor mine.
- maximize revenue and employment opportunities for the long term.
From the outset, business and employment opportunities secured by Attawapiskat Resources were linked to the operation at Victor.